You may be adapting to changed circumstances in your work from home environment, with a potential increase in interruptions and a whole set of new distractions to contend with. Adjusting some of your personal WiseTime preferences to suit the new environment may help you adapt and continue the flow of your work.
Optimise your notification and exclusion preferences
To work around any potential increase in interruptions, use WiseTime's app preferences to adjust your inactivity notification to a time period that suits your work style. Here you can also tell WiseTime to ignore certain webpages and apps so you only see relevant work in your timeline.
- Click on the WiseTime desktop icon in your Windows task bar (at the bottom right hand corner of your desktop, you may need to expand the toolbar with the `<<` button to see all your icons)
- Select 'Preferences' from the app menu
- In the 'General' tab, set your inactivity notification preference to a duration that suits your work style (you can select from between 2 and 10 minutes). If you are interrupted frequently from the computer, you may choose to a shorter duration of inactivity. If your computer activity is more static (ie. you tend to spend longer reading one document at a time) you may like to increase the inactivity period. You may also disable this feature entirely.
- In the 'Exclusions' tab, set any window titles, keywords or app names (such as personal browsing websites) that you want WiseTime to ignore recording entirely. This helps to keep your timeline free from irrelevant noise.
The ‘Add Manual Time’ button in your console is a handy way to identify gaps in your timeline at the end of the day, and add any unrecorded time as necessary —such as a phone call from a client, or time spent reading a file. This is a helpful feature to use at the end of your day to ensure you have not omitted recording any time by accident.
- Click the 'Add Manual Time' button at the top of your console
- Here you can easily see all the available time blocks in your day where WiseTime has not recorded any time
- Select as many time blocks as applicable
- Adjust any time by clicking on the corresponding duration for each available block and typing in the time you would like to record within that hour
- Select an activity and type in a description - this is how the time will appear in your timeline
- Don't forget to type in any relevant case codes or IRNs — this will allow WiseTime to automatically apply any corresponding tag to the manual time rows
- Click 'SUBMIT' and see your manual time appear in your timeline
- You can now post this time as normal.