The WiseTime for Clio Connector gives attorneys time for more by taking timekeeping off their to-do list. WiseTime app works by capturing the attorney’s activity as they work, without interrupting their workflow. No manual entry or start-and-stop timer required. With Clio connected, matter ID’s are automatically detected inactivity so time can be sent directly to Clio, ready to be invoiced.
The Clio Connector is available as part of the Pro Plan. Upgrade from the Team Settings page to get connected.
Connecting WiseTime to Clio
To connect WiseTime to Clio, you must first have a WiseTime account for the administrator user that will authenticate the connection for your whole team. We usually recommend setting up an email alias such as email@example.com to use to authenticate the connection.
Please note: Only one user of your Clio team needs to create the connection for all users to be able to use WiseTime with Clio. We recommend generic alias email for this, but it can similarly be the owner of the team or any other team member that authenticates the account.
Once you have set up the WiseTime account for your authentication user you can create your Clio Connector.
Follow the steps below to set-up your Connector.
- Go to the online console at wisetime.com/console
- Click on the "Team Settings" page from the left-hand menu
- Scroll down to 'Connectors', and click on "Create Connector"
- Then use the dropdown menu to select "Clio"
- You will then be directed to Clio to authenticate your account. If you are not already logged into your Clio account, you will be prompted to log in before you can connect.
- You will then need to allow WiseTime access to connect to your Clio account:
- Once done, you will be redirected back to the WiseTime console and your new connector will appear listed under 'Connections'
Your WiseTime-Clio connection is now up and running. Please note that it may take a few minutes to sync all of your matters from Clio.
Note: either the email address used when registering to WiseTime or the `external user id` must match the email address used in Clio for the user to be able to post time.
Connector property settings:
After you create your connection, you can re-authenticate the connection (11) here at any time.
The connection settings underneath can be used by system administrators to manage advanced properties for your connection. Please note that these are optional settings and are not required for the connection to function.
Available properties to configure:
- DURATION_SPLIT_STRATEGY (10) defines the split strategy for when a time row is posted with multiple tags. This can have values DIVIDE_BETWEEN_TAGS and WHOLE_DURATION_TO_EACH_TAG_VALUE
- ACTIVITY_TYPES_NON_BILLABLE (13) is comma-separated list of activity types that should be posted with the non-billable option in Clio
Please see the full article here.
- ADD_SUMMARY_TO_NARRATIVE (12) determines if the summary of your narrative will be sent to your connected system and should be of type boolean
Using WiseTime with Clio
WiseTime for Clio will do wonders for your efficiency
WiseTime is for attorneys with more important things to do than timekeeping. We know the trouble of losing time because you were too busy to record it.
WiseTime relieves you of the need to remember your time, or press start and stop on a timer. WiseTime passively captures your activity while you work and collates it in a private timeline, ready to review.
Imagine never having to manually record a minute, and still reaching 5 o’clock with a detailed draft of your day’s activity.
Your Clio Matter IDs are automatically identified
With WiseTime connected to Clio, your matter IDs are synced directly from Clio to WiseTime. This means any Clio matter IDs that appear within your activity timeline are automatically recognised. WiseTime uses the title of your active window so that any document or email that you work on with the matter ID present in the document name or subject line will be automatically assigned to the correct matter.
Send your activity seamlessly to Clio
Everything in your timeline is 100% private to you, so you can review your day’s work, assign any additional matter IDs to an activity or add descriptions before you choose which activities to send to Clio. With Clio connected, you can even assign charge codes to your activity from within WiseTime, so that all your activity is ready to be invoiced when you send it to Clio.
Effortlessly create detailed invoices
With WiseTime as your memory, you won’t miss a minute and your timekeeping will be detailed and meticulous – all without any manual input from you. Now you can easily send clients invoices that show them exactly where your attention was.
Bill faster and bill better with WiseTime connected to Clio.